Have you seen /go/ or /recommend/ URLs on the professional blogs for affiliate or outbound links? If no, you don’t probably surf the web. If yes, your blog is far away by one simple plugin. Once, you installed the plugin you are ready to go with the simple URLs, such as /go/ or /recommend/ or /yourowntext/. The simple URLs gives a professional look to your blogs. You can use simple URLs on your outbound or affiliate links inside your blog that cuts the ugly and long URL structure, and gives you short branded URL.
Why to Use Simple URLs Plugin in WordPress
There are several reasons to use the simple URLs Plugin inside the WordPress blog.
- We can track the clicks made on simple URLs.
- Convert the long ugly affiliate links to simple branded URLs.
- Manage all the simple URLs in one place.
Best Use of /go/ or /recommend/ Simple URLs in WordPress
The best part to having the simple URLs plugin into your WordPress blog is that you can change the URL on a lot of pages by editing on a single admin simple URLs page. For example, let you have an affiliate link which you used by simple URLs WordPress plugin that shown on a lot of pages in your blog. Let, your affiliate link has changed by the site owner (It has happened in StudioPress for all the publishers.) Then, what will you do? Will you try to find the affiliate link on thousand of pages of your blog, and edit them?…
The simple answer is yes! I am with Simple URLs plugin, and I can change any affiliate link on any no. of pages just by simple clicks. Therefore, here is how to add simple URLs plugin on WordPress.
How to Use Simple URLs Plugin (“go” or “recommend”) to WordPress
- Download Simple URLs Plugin to your desktop, and install this plugin to WordPress.
- Once plugin has been downloaded, navigate to Settings » Permalinks, and click on Save Changes. Yes, without change anything just click save. Believe me.
- Now, you are ready to use your simple URLs plugin, look on the left WordPress admin menu panel, and click on Simple URLs (in that page you can manage and track your existing simple URLs) » Add Newnow, write the title name, edit the permalink you want and paste your outbound link into the “Redirect URI” field. Finally, click on Publish. You can use this simple permalink to where you want.
By default, the simple plugin has the “go” slug for the permalinks. If you want to use any other slug, such as recommend, visits or refer, then here is how to change “go” slug to “recommend” or “refer”.
How to Change the Simple URLs slug from “go” to “recommend” or “yourownword”
- Inside your WordPress dashboard, click on Plugins.
- Scroll down the page until you see Simple URLs. Click on the Edit option.
- Once you clicked on edit, by default simple-urls/plugin.php will open. Now, find out “go” (without quote) using ctrl+F that will be present in the below line,
'rewrite' => array( 'slug' => 'go', 'with_front' => false )
change go with recommend or yourownname to use in your simple URLs. After changing it, the new code will be
'rewrite' => array( 'slug' => 'recommend', 'with_front' => false )
Finally, click on Update File.