Do you want to remove “category” slug from WordPress categories URLs? This is a quick guide to remove the unwanted “category” keyword from your WordPress URLs. Why we need to remove category from WordPress URL? It is because having the best SEO friendly permalink structure is a positive vote to the major search engines, specially Google. Therefore, we should always try to make our category URLs more SEO friendly by adding the targeted keywords. However, the categories URL of WordPress has /category/ slug by default, which is not necessary to have a category keyword in the URL that makes your categories URL lengthy. I recommend you to remove the category slug from your WordPress categories URLfor better user experience and SEO. I have mentioned some methods below, check it out.
How to Remove Category from WordPress URLs Using WP No Category Base Plugin
(If you are using SEO by Yoast plugin, then you should check the following headline.) WP No Category Base is a simple WordPress plugin to remove the category slug from WordPress URLs. You don’t need to modify any setting after installation of this plugin. If you want to remove your category base just activate the plugin, and if you want to get back your category base to your WordPress URLs just deactivate the plugin. WP No Category Base plugin redirects old category permalinks to the new ones (301 redirect, good for SEO). Therefore, here is how to remove category base from WordPress using WP No Category Base.
- Go to the plugin page of WP No Category Base, and download the plugin to your desktop.
- Now, upload this plugin to your WordPress and activate it. Here is how to Install Plugin to WordPress guide.
- Check back your categories URL. Your category keyword has been removed from the WordPress URLs.
Remove Category from WordPress URLs using SEO by Yoast Plugin
If you want to use this method to remove your category base from WordPress URLs, you need to install SEO by Yoast Plugin to your WordPress blog. If you have already installed it, then follow the below steps.
- Go to your WordPress admin menu panel » SEO » Permalinks.
- Now make a mark by clicking on “Strip the category base (usually
/category/) from the category URL.” under Permalinks Settings.
- Finally, click on Save Settings. (You don’t need to worry about the changing your categories link, since it is 301 redirect your old category permalinks to new one)