Have you a self hosted WordPress blog? do you want to submit your sitemap to major search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo? Then, you have to authorized your WordPress blog with the search engine’s webmaster tools. When they authorize you, you can submit your sitemap to get notified by search engines automatically whenever you published any post on your WordPress blog. However, there are more advantages to get verified by search engine’s webmaster tools. For example, let your WordPress blog has verified in Google Webmaster tools. In short, how does Google treat with your blog, you can look at Google webmaster tools. If Google finds any error while crawling your blog such as 404 not found and 400 response code, webmaster tools under crawl errors will notify you. You can check your backlinks, which are important in the eyes of Google to your home and individual pages, and how your data is linked with the anchor texts on the other websites. You would be also able to check your internal link structure of your blog, and if you have any duplicate meta tags or title tags, Google will notify you via webmaster tools. If you have published a new post on your blog and don’t want to wait for visiting Googlebot to index your newly created post, you can fetch your post inside Google webmaster tools and submit it to get fast indexing in the search.
Let’s talk to the main point. Therefore, here is how to get verified by Google in Webmaster tools for WordPress.
How To Verify WordPress Blog in Google Webmaster Tools
- Sign into Google Webmaster Tools with your Gmail id. If you don’t have, Sign up with a Gmail account.
- Now click on ADD A SITE as shown in the image below, and type your WordPress blog URL and finally click on Continue.
- In the next scree, Google will ask you to verify your WordPress blog. You have several ways to verify your ownership inside Webmaster tools. You can choose the option that is easiest for you. I want to go with meta tag’s verification which is liked by most users. As shown in figure below, click on Alternate methods, and push on “Add a meta tag to your site’s home page.” Now copy the meta tag.Now, paste this meta tag to your WordPress blog. Follow the bottom section of this post.
How To Verify WordPress Blog in Bing Webmaster Tools
If you have verified by Bing Webmaster tools, then you don’t need to verify in Yahoo site explorer because Yahoo! Search has merged Site Explorer into Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Sign into Bing Webmaster Tools with your Windows LiveID, If you don’t have , sign up with a Windows LiveID.
- Now click on Add Site as shown in the below image, and type your WordPress blog URL and finally click on Submit
- On the next screen, you have different ways to prove your ownership to Bing. You can choose the option that is easiest for you. Let we choose meta tag to verify our ownership of this blog. As shown in the image below, choose option 2 and copy the meta code.Now, paste this code to your WordPress theme. Follow the below steps.
Paste Meta Tag for Google & Bing Webmaster Tools in WordPress Blog
In your WordPress theme, you have several ways to paste your meta verification code provided by Bing & Google webmaster tools to WordPress themes. Select any one method listed below,
- SEO by Yoast Plugin: If you are using SEO by Yoast plugin into your WordPress blog, you can easily paste your meta tag to your WordPress theme by this plugin. Inside your WordPress admin panel, look on the left menu and click on SEO » Dashboard, scroll down the page and paste your meta tags to the proper field under Webmaster Tools section as shown in the image below,Finally, click on Save Settings.
- Genesis Theme: If you are using Genesis StudioPress theme in your WordPress blog, then you don’t need to upload any plugin. You can paste your meta tags to your WordPress theme by Genesis theme functionality. Inside your WordPress admin panel, look at your left side menu and click on Genesis Theme » Settings. Scroll down the page until you see “Header and Footer Scripts.” Now paste your both meta tags into first section i.e., wp_head() as shown in the image below,Finally, click on Save Settings.
- Thesis Theme: If you are using Thesis theme on your WordPress blog, then go to WordPress Admin » Thesis » Site Options » Document Head » Additional Scripts, and paste your both meta tags here.Finally, save it.
- WordPress Meta Tag Manager Plugin: You may use this plugin to manage your all meta tags for your WordPress blog. Install this plugin and activate it. Now, go to Settings » Meta Tag Manager for adding the meta tags.
[VIDEO]: How To Get Verified By Bing, Yahoo & Google Webmaster Tools for WordPress Blog
Here is a live video to verify this blog in Bing & Google webmaster tools, hope this video may help you.