Do you want to install plugins to your WordPress blog? You don’t know where to start. This is a beginner’s guide to show you the various methods of WordPress plugins installation. Plugins make WordPress more powerful that is why mostly users prefer to go with WordPress. You don’t need to have any knowledge about PHP, CSS or HTML for making changes into your WordPress blog, just install the plugins and activate it, and plugins will do all for you. Therefore, here is how to install a plugin to WordPress.
Install WordPress Plugin Using Upload Plugin Method Inside WordPress Admin Panel
Using upload plugin method, you would need to download the plugin (.zip file format) from the source to your computer, and then you will upload it to your WordPress using this method. Therefore, here is how to install a plugin to WordPress using upload plugin method.
- Log into your WordPress dashboard, and click on Plugins » Add New, and click on Upload tab. Now, click on Browse… to choose a plugin .zip file and finally click on Install Now button.
- Once you installed the plugin, you’ll see a confirm message “Plugin installed successfully”. Now, click on Activate Plugin.
- Once you activated plugin, customize your plugin setting by look at the plugin name and click on it under Settings tab in the left sidebar of your WordPress. If your plugin is not there, then check out your plugin name in the left sidebar panel OR go to “/wp-admin/plugins.php” and check out the setting option of your desired plugin.
[VIDEO]: Install a Plugin By Upload Plugins Method To WordPress Inside WordPress Admin Panel
I have attached a live Video to install your plugins to WordPress by inbuilt upload plugins option inside your WordPress admin panel, hope this video will help you.
Install Plugin to WordPress Using FTP Client FileZilla
I recommend you to have at least one FTP client to your desktop to access your self hosted WordPress blog files and folders. The users mostly use FileZilla, which is a free FTP client. You would need to download the plugin from the source to your computer. In this method, I will use FileZilla as FTP client to upload your plugin to WordPress. However, using this method you need to have;
- A FTP account. (How to create FTP accounts for WordPress blog)
- FileZilla FTP Client. (Download FileZilla FTP Client and Integrate your FTP account)
Follow the below step by step guide to install your plugin to WordPress by FileZilla,
- Go to the folder in which you have downloaded .zip format of your plugin, and extract this folder as shown below,
When you extracted .zip format of your plugin you would get an extra folder of which we will upload through FTP.
- Open FileZilla FTP client and connect with your FTP account.
- Go to the root directory of your WordPress blog in which you want to install a plugin in remote site. Now, click on wp-content » plugins. Here, you will see the existing plugin folders.
- Now, look at the local site (your computer) in the left side, and browse the folder where your .zip format for your plugin present.
- Now, right click on the folder (extracted from .zip file of plugin), and click on Upload.Once uploaded, you will see that folder to “/wp-content/plugins”.
- Go back to the WordPress dashboard, and click on Plugins, and find out your newly added plugin and Activate it.
- You have successfully installed your plugin. You can customize it through the steps mentioned in the above method in 3rd step.
[VIDEO]: Install a Plugin To WordPress Using FileZilla FTP Client
Below is a live video to install a WordPress plugin by FileZilla FTP client, hope it will help you to install your plugins to your self hosted WordPress blog.